Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 11 - Clarksburg, WV

We entered West Virginia today, our 5th state of the trip. We rode a good 70 miles over hilly terrain down through the South West corner of PA and into northern WV.


There was no official indication of the state line, but I did noticed Steeler bumper stickers changing to Mountainers logos. I also noticed today that the hills are starting to mellow, a hopeful indication that we are mostly past the Appalachian range.




I saw a number of different a animals along the route. In the morning, along another short rail trial, I spotted several cardinals fluttering in and out of the trees and shrubs. Coming out of one descent two horses caught site of my approach and ran along side me for the stretch of their pen. Cows were grazing along the rolling pastures, stopping their endless meals for a moment to stare blankly at me as I passed them by. They are the only ones willing to pose for a portrait.

At the top of one particularly long climb i was lucky to find a small bar on the side of the road. I was tired and thirsty more than i realized. I grabed a 7up and a Gatorade and downded them quickly as i cooled off inside. Two old timers, looking as old as the hills were trading travel stories. "Always throw a few fresh handy wipes out the window so the 'lot lizards' know to leave you alone" one crowed at the other.

We are now at the Greenbreir Motel in Clarksburg, WV sitting down to some homemade pasta. The proprietor told us to make sure we included her establishment in our blogs, "tell 'em some old bitch told ya to write it in."






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Thomas Ave,Nutter Fort,United States

1 comment: