Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 18 - Bardstown, KY




I spent 76 miles along the rolling hills of horse farms and burbon country in the glorious state of Kentucky. Our destination of Bardstown was only 66 miles away, but I decided to take a ten mile detour in Lawrenceburg to visit the Four Roses distillery on the advice of my Lexington friends.

I spent a hour walking around the grounds listening to a slight woman with a buttery southern drawl explain the proccess of making the only US certifed spirit. At the end of course we had a taste of their offerings. I found the low grade stuff petty mellow and smooth and the expensive single barrel a bit harsh. This may have had something to do with being on a bike for thirty miles before having my midday libations.




Kentucky has another deicious beverage aside from burbon, it's Ale 81. It somewhere between a gingerale and a 7up and it absolutely hits the spot on a hot day. I knocked back two of them at a Marathon Gas station on my way to Lexington and have been hooked since.

Somewhere along the line someone had the masterstroke idea of combining the two. The drink is called a jeeter speedball or Winchester doublewide. A jeeter is a youngin' who is trying to high step past his upbringing -- this usually means going to college. As I can only imagine the is a university of Kentucky favorite.

At the end the ride I pulled into the "My Old Kentucky Home" State park to camp for the night. Upon entering I realized another landmark: we had officially hit the trans America bike trail. There were two other bikers camping for the night. We are sharing a space with nick a 20 year old college student, bringing our fee down to 4 bucks a head.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:W Flaget St,Bardstown,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment