Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 15 - Carter Cave




An epic day on the bicycle! We pulled down a good 85 miles on mostly flat roads in the bright sunshine. We Continued along route 2 which winds it's way along the Ohio river through Huntington, a petty large industrial town.




Along the way I treated myself to a Hill Billy hot dog, a locally famous outpost on route 2, with junk strewn across the yard and on the side of the trailer where they make the food. I had the junk yard dog pictures above which has just about eveything.

After Huntington we crossed the state line into Kentucky, our 6th state of the trip. I was tempted to cross a bridge into Ohio just for the he'll of I but never got around to it.

My experiences so far with kentukians has been great. In the middle of one steep climb a guy with no shirt on slowed down his pickup truck so he could lean out and offer me a cold beer.

We pushed on down route 60 with the intention of stopping in the town of Olive Hill but along route noticed signs for the Carter Cave State park and headed there to pitch our tents for the night. Of course the park camgrounds are 5 miles of steep climbs from the entrance. A tough way to end a long day.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Camper Ground Dr,Olive Hill,United States

1 comment:

  1. Win and I want to know if you accepted the kind stranger's brewsky offer ... xo

    ReplyDelete