Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 51 - Rest Day in Dubois

Ryan needed a rest day to heal a pulled muscle in his calf which I took as an opportunity to catch up on mail laundry and rest myself.

After a day of errands in town I moved over to the cowboy bar (real name) for a beer and met Dean who works for the power company driving around the mountains each day. He told me how to get a pickup across a river, how he's lost a truck off the side of a snowy mountain road and that the loaded pistol he carries in his glove compartment is his bear spray.

Into the bar came 4 men all in white cowboy hats, worn blue jeans and crisply pressed wrangler shirts. They all looked differet but each had strong jaws, distinguished laugh lines along their cheeks and big chins. Two of them had spurs off he back of their boots. I thought to myself: damn all of these guys look like Marlboro men. Dean piped up: "they're Marlboro men. They come every summer to shot commercials out here". I laughed at the coincidence.

"But they're dudes. They ain't no cowboys, that's for sure. Lucky if they could ride a horse". He continued. "Dudes don't know how to do anything except look pretty"

No comments:

Post a Comment