Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 62 - Cambridge, ID


I headed out in the morning riding 40 miles down the road to the old logging town of Cambridge, ID. Along the way logging trucks, stocked with 12 or 13 large tree trunks on their beds whizzed by me, occasionally laying into their incredible loud air horns. My intention was to ride another 40 miles to Oxbow. I pulled into town at 2pm a figured I would have lunch and hang out in the Library to avoid some of the afternoon heat. One shop in town posted 100 degrees on its scrolling ticker. Ouch.

After two hours of waiting around i stepped back into the afternoon heat and if felt not one degree cooler, though the thermometer now read 99 degrees. I stopped in the cafe for a drink and noticed on the heat advisory warning on the TV. This was all the convincing i needed to make this a short day and stay in Cambridge for the night.

While outside I bumped into Steve, one of the 4 riders I met in Riggins the other day. He was looking to put in some more miles and was now a day ahead of his friend. We had a beer that night at the saloon and planned to ride together to Halfway in the morning where he had arranged to stay with a warm showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment