Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 59 - Near Lowell, ID




Well rested and full of life from my visit with Bob and his family I headed out of Missoula and onto route 12. My plan was to head up over Lolo pass and down along the Lochsa river for as far as I close as I could get to Kooskia a 147 miles away.

Route 12 started out flat leading me through forest and surrounding mountians. I began to climb the reasonable grade in the cool afternoon air and about half way decided to take lunch, sitting on a barrier and eating half of my footlong subway sandwich. With just a little more effort I was at the summit and had crossed into Idaho, the 13th state of the trip.

After refilling my water bottles at the rest stop I began a long beautiful decsent into the lush green valley bellow. The winding roadway carved into the mountian was visible far off in the distance. As I flew down I passed other bicyclists grinding their gears on their way up, a much tougher approach to the summit than my own.




The steep decsent yeilded to a more gradual one and the road began to follow the beautiful pristine Lochsa river. The shallow water of the river wound it's way over a rocky bed with dense national forrest surrounding it's shorline.




70 miles into my day I decided to take a break and hike up to the Jerry Johnson hotsprings. I traversed the river over a cable and wood suspension bridge and followed 1.5 mile long through the woods. Old cedars lined the way.majestic olde Cedar trees.

A good size pool contained by surrounding boulders sat next to a small stream. I put my bathing suit on and stepped into the 100 degree water, slowly submerging my limbs until I was comfortable sitting on the sandy floor of the pool. The water was cyrstal clear and without any sulfer smell and felt great on my overworked legs.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Let's see some pics of those cross county QUADS baby!! We come to this blog for the skin not for all these inspiration stories and majestic views!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you deserved it after your crash! haven't seen posts for a few days and it looks like you're having an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete