Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 27 - Hermann, MO




We got a start on the day after having a great night out in St. Louis. We had breakfast with Nick and his father and headed out on the Katty trail at 1:30 pm. The Katty trail is a very
well maintained packed limestone path which follows along the Missouri River. It runs about 50 miles shy of Kansas City.

I was taking a slower pace being a bit sleep deprived. Our goal was a town about 60 miles out. At the beginning of the trail we began riding cooperatively taking turns in the lead, but i didn't have much in me and berfore long Ryan had pulled ahead.

I noticed the road feeling a little bumpier. I looked down and saw my rear wheel was flat, my first of the trip. I stopped, took off all my bags and changed the tube in the baking, sweating dripping on my tools tools. I checked the tire but didn't see any foreign objects. In about 20 minutes I was back up and riding to Marthasville for lunch.

After lunch I noticed my rear wheel was flat again. I painstakingly reexamined my tire off the rim and found the tineiest of metal shards protruding through the tred. I was so happy to find that bugger.




As the sun lowered the trail became more spectacular. Glimpse of a glimmering river, rabbits feeding their young, murky swamps along the shore, trees growing out of creek beds. I was happy to be outside.

Hermann, the town we stayed in, is the most German town in america acording to a couple we met. The planners surveyed the location and transported enough expats to get it started in the 1800s. Many of the business had authentic names like Berliner's pharmacy and there was a heritage museum on the main street.

We camped in the town park. It was not a very serene place being right next to a gas station anda high traffic road. I needed to keep my rainfly on my tent to block all of the lights. Unfortunately, this makes the inside a great deal hotter. I eventuly dozed off still sweating out all of the St Louis fun from the night before.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Missouri 100,Hermann,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment