Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 47 - Muddy Gap, WY




Wyoming just keeps getting better. The terrain is extra green and lush due to record precipitation and run off from the mountains. We headed out late in the morning to ride rte 130 to the interstate for 10 or so miles to Rawlins where we could pick up 287, the road which will take us into Yellow stone. Bikers are allowed on the interstate in Wyoming due to the scarcity of roads.

I decided to due the first 40 miles of our day in one clip. Route 130 was an enjoyable flat road with large tracts of ranch land. The interstate was a tough ride due to the 20 mile headwind. I plodded along at 12 mph waiting for my exit to appear.




287 is where the magic happend. We turned back north putting thenwind at our side and watched the most spectacular rock formations unfold along the horizon. Sand and red stone buttes, cliffs of boulders and gentle sloping hills. A thin band of white clouds stretched across the sky.




Just as we hit the continental divide a particularly beautiful stretch of mountains appeared. The road dropped steeply and I sailed between two ridges down into a vast arid basin, the road stretchin for miles into the distance. I let out a yell on the way down, holding my handle bars tight as strong gusts of wind moved me around the shoulder of the road.

I pulled into Grandmas cafe in Lamont, a roadside oasis. The restaurant was empty. Ryan was sitting in a booth, 2 mountain dew cans in front of him. I helped myself to a drink from the cooler and took a load off. We sat ther for 30 minutes without seeing a soul, leaving a few bucks on the counter before heading down the road.

10 miles of more I tensely beautiful terrain and we were in Muddy Gap, which is just an intersection witha gas station. I decided to pitch my tent there for the night, while Ryan pushed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment