Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 38 - Limon, CO





I woke up exhilarated from the chance meeting with Phil and Terry. We had another 85 miles planned riding due west along 24 to Limon, CO. An internet search revealed It would be another 2 days before reaching a bike shop to replace my chain.

We started out in a strong crosswind in cool sunny weather. The few clouds scattered along the horizon lifted by noon leaving an endless blue sky. I was happy to keep a moderate pace feeling both fatigued from our string or days on the road since Kansas city and a concern for my hacked drive train.

Route 24 is a low traffic road paralel to I-70 with modest 200 feet gains in altitude between towns. After a could of hours on the road I stopped in Seibert for a sandwich at a gas station near the interstate, the only option around.


After lunch I hopped back on the bike and followed 24 over to the south side of I-70 at which point it turned into a loose dirt road, taking away a little speed and comfort from the day. It had been recently leveled on one side and I swerved along looking for lines of packed dirt to ridr over. Overpasses came every 7 or 10 miles, with me having to ride up over them, while the highway traffic breezed under them.

Often I could see the next town where I would refill from ten or more miles out, which kept a target in front of me and my cranks turning.

At 70 miles into the ride I made it to the top of an overpass and saw far off in the distance the purple ridge line of the Rockies. I was astonished by their magnitude knowing I was a least 125 out from their base and the sight alone had me powering through the rest of the way to the hotel and truckstop packed town of Limon.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment