Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 30 - Kansas City, MO




I mentioned to Ryan, usually a late sleeper, that I might try to get an early start on our ride into St. Louis. I woke up at 7:15 to find his tent gone. I packed up my gear and got on he road by 7:30, my earliest start of the trip.

I decided to ride at least 20 miles before beakfast, having heard this was a common technique among tourists. The beginning of the day is a special moment physically. Your body is fully rested and you have the most energy you will ever have availabe to you.

The route I had planned started out on route 50 a bikable two lane highway. I spun up to a quick pace and was flying along the shoulder holding a 18-20 mph. I blew by Kansas City mile marker one after another and before I knew it I had cranked out 25 miles and decided to stop for a big plate breakfast at McDonalds in Warrenburg.

I continued at a good pace for the rest of the day realizing how much faster blacktop is compared to a dirt trail. As I was barreling down route 150 I saw Ryan pulling out of a parking lot 20 yards ahead. I was psyched that I caught up to him, but decided to stop for some needed food and water instead of getting his attention.

We reached Nicks beautiful home in Leawood, Kansas by the afternoon and entered our 9th state of the trip.

The rest of the day was spent lounging at a town pool and playing frisbee on a field nearby. By sundown I had worked up a tremendous appetitie and was eager to sample some of Kansas City's famous BBQ.




Nick took us to his family's favorite place, Jack Stack's Smokehouse where I had "Jack's Best", a plate of different types of ribs. The absolute highlight was the Crowne Prime rib which came with my order. Yes, just one rib, but it was as big as a size twelve sneaker and as heavy as a dumbell. The meat was soft and buttery. I had to hold myself back from eating the fat off he backside of the bone.

Afterwards we went to through the power & light district and had a beer in the Westport Neighborhood. Things were pretty quite for a Monday night and I was happy to be headed home for a comfy sleep indoors on a couch.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:E 14th St,Kansas City,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment