Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 32 - Topeka, KS

The rains passed and Ryan and I headed out around 9am. Only a few moments down the road we had split up for what would be a day to come. I stopped for a large breakfast burrito in a restaurant one of the strip malls, which slowed me down for the rest of day. I would be a large man if I lived in Kansas City.

As I exited the city I passed several planned communities. I passed one after another, each with large stone signs or gates at the entry street. They all looked relatively new and spacious.

The day was largely uneventful, save for the 5 or 10 miles I rode to undo the bad route I got from google. I was taken along dirt rodes toward an amunitions factory, which I backtracked around. By the afternoon I was passing through Lawrence, home of Kansas University. I took a cruise through the campus riding along Naismith road (Basketball country!), but didn't stay long in town.

In another 30 miles of cornfields and farmland I entered the sleepy city of Topeka. I attempted to stop on the main strip for a coffee but most places were shuttered by 6pm. I got a text from Ryan saying he was having a blast in Lawrence and was going to stay the night. After realizing that I overshot the only camping option by 8 miles i decided to splurge on a $40 room at motel 6.

A squierly looking guy on a bicycle in a hockey helmet road up to say hellos to me. He figured I was on tour and asked about the trip. He didnt have much to offer in terms of things of interest in topeka, not his fault, but did tell me about blackbird cafe where I had dinner and breakfast.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment